2.16.2012

Hudden and Dudden and Donald O'Neary, Doris Burn

Recently I did a post on a book illustrated by Doris Burn, Christina Katerina and The Box. I came across another book illustrated by Burn, (that I forgot I had) while looking for a book to post today called Hudden and Dudden and Donald O'Neary. 


This story is about about two greedy farmers who want to steal a cow and land away from a penniless man named Donald O'Neary. But of course, greedy is bad, the poor man out smarts the farmers and though they gloss over it, I believe they drown in the lake. Hooray! (Just kidding) This story was adapted, which leads me to think it's most likely a very old story. 


Burn was in top form for this book. Her illustrations in Hudden and Dudden and Donald O'Neary remind me of The Story of Ferdinand, illustrated by Robert Lawson. Just really well executed pen and ink illustrations with great character development.








Hudden and Dudden and Donald O'Neary
Adapted by Joseph Jacobs
Illustrated by Doris Burn
Coward-McCann, Inc., 1968

4 comments:

  1. I have this tale in Idries Shah's World Tales. In his commentary, Shah says it was taken down by Alfred Nutt in the 19th century, and indeed I see this here:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/75672342/6/VI-HUDDEN-AND-DUDDEN
    Doris Burn's illustrations are just right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info and I agree with you about Doris Burn's illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should compare Doris Burns style to Robert Lawson. I was thinking that about her illustrations for "Christina Katerina & The Box"; but it's definitely a lot more evident here.

    ReplyDelete