3.30.2011

Chestnut Grey, Russian Folk Tale



Today's book Chestnut Grey, is a Russian Folk Tale and is the story of the underdog (Ivan the Fool) winning the girl because he perseveres. I think it's also worth noting that his name is just plain Ivan at the end, because of his accomplishments. (You go Ivan!) BTW, the typography on the cover is terrible, just saying. Don't forget to click on the pics.












There is little information to be found on Tatiana Mavrina (1902-1996). A Russian artist who resided in Moscow, she mainly illustrated Russian folk/fairy tales. It seems a shame that there isn't more information about her. But I think it's because at the time recognition of artists like Mavrina were suppressed. Sad. Well, she did a fine job in illustrating Chestnut Grey, her use of color is great and she was a very good draftsman. Tatiana Mavrina was a very talented artist.





Chestnut Grey
Told by M. Bulatov
Illustrated by Tatiana Lebedeva Mavrina

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jil, thanks for the comments on my blog, I have responded. Cute blog, now following xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. back in 1986/87, my Dad gifted me this book...maybe I've gifted to someone else....but it cherished my childhood memories. Thanks a lot for posting this book pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Around 1993/94, my father bought this book's Bengali translated for me. It was called Sivka Boorka. I was and is love with these illustrations https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1376840346i/18340168._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

    ReplyDelete