2.07.2011

The Little Red Lighthouse And the Great Gray Bridge, Lynd Ward


I found this gem at a library sale this past weekend. Copyright date is 1942, so The Little Red Lighthouse was probably first published then, though this is a softcover. This book is about the building of a bridge across the Hudson River into New York, it parallels the life of a lighthouse who thinks it will no longer be needed. Lynd Ward's illustrations are fantastic. Love the color palette. I'm short on time today, so I will not be doing a bio on Lynd Ward, but will save it for another time when I can do him justice.










The Little Red Lighthouse And the Great Gray Bridge
By Hildegard H. Swift and Lynd Ward
Scholastic Book Services, 1973

2 comments:

  1. The heavy pencils and watercolor look is fantastic. Library sales are a great place to find rare books like this. I got an extremely rare illustrated version of Moby Dick at one a long time ago and it's one of my treasured possessions. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately this is not a rare book, since it is a Scholastic softcover from 1973. But I was still happy to find it as I had not seen this book before and I really like the art. Plus these types of books are great for scanning.

    ReplyDelete